Saturday, April 26, 2014

Would You Manufacture A Humiliating Lie For Money?

Hello LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

"TrueTori" - a short "documentary-style" reality TV series about Tori Spelling and her husband's life after the alleged cheating scandal debuted on the Lifetime Network this week.  Accompanying the debut were also various stories on the internet alleging that Tori and her husband faked the "cheating scandal."

Tori Spelling has admitted to financial problems, so the question some viewers may be asking is whether a couple would manufacture a humiliating lie in exchange for money?  Was this a case of desperate times call for desperate measures?  Or was this a case of a scorned wife wanting her husband to be publicly humiliated like she was?  Or just simply another exploitative reality TV show?

Even though I am universally loved and adored (ha ha), I am not famous.  Tori Spelling has been tabloid fodder for years, so maybe she wouldn't mind playing a game with the tabloids to pay her bills.  She could see this as just another acting role.  But still, I myself, could not imagine making up a humiliating story where people would mock, ridicule, pity, laugh at me, etc.

Since it is widely known that Tori Spelling and her husband cheated on their respective now former spouses when they began their relationship, I feel like their current situation invites people to say "Once a cheater, always a cheater" or "What did you expect?  He cheated on his wife to be with you.  Did you really think he would be faithful to you?"  So if Tori Spelling did manufacture a story where basically the whole world could chime in and say "I told you so," woof - I could not even imagine wanting to take that on - no matter what the financial gain!  

And if the cheating was a real event, I still couldn't imagine dissecting my relationship for all the world to chime in.  It is a little too "Gladiator Days" for my emotional psyche! 

But who knows?  There's always been an art to publicity and "reality TV."  Even back in the golden age of film, big screen movie stars who had babies out of wedlock may disappear out of sight and then say they adopted the child.  Relationships were manufactured to try to promote heterosexual movie personas.  So is it a big jump to think in 2014 that someone wouldn't be willing to manufacture a farce?

I have only watched a couple episodes of Tori Spelling's various reality television shows over the years.  Her husband always kind of "cheesed" me out, so I wasn't interested in viewing more.  I did watch the first episode of "True Tori."  One of her friends seemed too smiley for this to be true/accurate.  But again, who knows?  Sometimes people smile or laugh when uncomfortable.  I know one woman who makes the creepiest laugh when she is emotionally uncomfortable in a situation.  I want to light some aromatherapy candles and beg her to NEVER make that awful noise.

The cheating scandal may be true.  It may be manufactured reality TV.  It could be all lies.  At this point, does it really matter?  I guess I would rather spend my energy feeling compassion for those around me who need it versus wondering about the marital issues of a reality TV show actress.  (Sorry Tori!)

However with the launch of the new TV series "True Tori" this week, I wanted to share my one and only Tori Spelling story.  A million years ago, I lived in Los Angeles.  Hollywood, to be exact.  It was a lot of shopping, drinking, partying, clubbing and dinners at 3 a.m.  Sigh - I miss living in a city where amazing restaurants stay open until 4 a.m. or later. 

There was an amazing California style pizza bistro in Hollywood that was open until 4 a.m.  It was always packed between Midnight until close.  The pizza was thin crust amazing deliciousness with the freshest "frou frou" toppings.  There was usually at least an hour long wait for the late night, after bar/club diners.  But oh, the pizza was so worth it.

One late night, four of us waited an hour to get a table and then waited what felt like 17 years to get our gigantic pizza.  The restaurant was packed, but suddenly the staff started moving people over and bringing in new tables.  Somehow they had managed to create a table for 12 in the center of the small restaurant that had previously been packed.  Our table was right next to the end of this table.  A limo pulled up and young, incredibly good-looking 20somethings in formal wear came spilling out.  They walked right in, past a line of angry hungry drunk people waiting in line for tables. 

The party of 12 had come from a wedding reception.  They were very tipsy and jovial.  I noticed at the head of the table on the opposite end of us was Tori Spelling.  She looked tired and none of these fun, very attractive party people were talking to her.  She just sat there while everyone around her was laughing and enjoying themselves.  She looked so alone.  

The pizzas at this restaurant are incredibly huge, so we still had half a pizza left even though the four of us had eaten until our stomachs were bulging.  The four wedding guests who sat closest to us joked that they would buy our leftovers.  Even though this party was able to jump the line and get a table for 12 where there had previously been no tables, they still had to wait over an hour for food like we had.  

We laughed with the tipsy wedding guests sitting near us but then to their surprise; we handed them our leftovers.  They were super appreciative.  They grabbed knives like they were arming for a prison fight and divided up the remaining slices like they were rationing for the winter.  Soon everyone at the table was eating our leftovers.  Except for Tori.  I couldn't understand why no one was talking to her.  I don't think they even offered her a piece of pizza.  There were people only inches from her on either side and yet it was like either she isolated herself in a bubble or they did.  It was all very confusing.  I wondered if Tori would be paying the check for the table.

Many people will say the "poor little rich girl" line about Tori Spelling, but when I think of her I just think of a 25 year old sitting in a restaurant, looking miserable.  Alone but not alone.  I never cared for the Tori Spelling I had seen on TV prior to this point, but that night I really wanted to give her a hug.  Usually when you see celebrities in public, there may be some envy or jealousy factor.  I was not envying Tori at all that night and in fact I felt like I was having the more fun night and possibly life. 

When I lived in Los Angeles, I had the opportunity to meet various actors - some more famous than others.  Some had major money, gorgeous homes, fabulous cars … some were still struggling to make any kind of living.  It was an eye-opening deglamorization of the world of "acting."  I remember learning quickly that things are not always what they seem.  Everyone has ups and downs.  Just some people have these ups and downs in a $30 million dollar house.  

I seriously need to cut back my reality TV watching and do something much more productive!

Thank you for reading!          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...