Friday, October 28, 2011

Return to Duval's Restaurant: Sarasota, Florida

Update Nov 2011:  Duval's New World Cafe in downtown Sarasota is now open and the Duval's Restaurant on Tamiami is now closed.  Check their website at this link.  Also check out my November 2011 review of Duval's New World Cafe, by clicking here


I started "Lily on the Lam" in December 2010.  Of all the posts I have written since then, by far the most popular blog post I have written is a review of Duval's Restaurant in Sarasota, Florida.  This post has been read 900% more times than the 2nd most popular post.  A factoid that completely astonishes me!  (2nd most popular blog post - my cooking class with Top Chef Masters Winner Floyd Cardoz.  Although my post for Ciro's Speakeasy and my recipe for Nutter Butter Cheesecake Truffle Balls are dangerously close to taking Floyd's spot.  Time to call all Floyd Cardoz fans to rally!)


I decided that I needed to return to Duval's and see if the same old magic was still there.  The timing of my visit was quite fortuitous because I learned from my server (who was bedazzled with tattoos of cupcakes and candy corn) that Duval's was going to be opening a new restaurant in downtown Sarasota.  I have heard that Duval's will eventually close their current location sometime after the downtown restaurant opens.  However, that seems to just be rumor and speculation so far - so don't count on me for the reliability of that story!


The new location is going to be called Duval's New World Cafe.  The menu has been reported to include some convenience items for faster service for the downtown patrons "on the go."  I have heard that the soft opening for Duval's New World Cafe will be in late October.  Guess I'll have to make another trip to Sarasota soon!  The website for Duval's New World Cafe can be accessed by clicking this link.


But before Duval's New World Cafe opens, let me tell you about my lunch at Duval's Restaurant.  If you have read my previous blog post on Duval's, you'll know that I am a big fan of their New Orleans-style cuisine.  I was first introduced to Duval's several years during a particularly bad first date.  While it would prove to be my first and only date with this man.  (The world's worst kisser -- he basically covered my entire face in saliva!)  It definitely would not be my only visit to Duval's.  I have been back there many times and have taken many friends and family there.  Duval's food is incredible and is worth going back to again and again.


On one occasion, I was having lunch at Duval's while the owner Cici was working.  I had my purse sitting on the floor underneath the table.  Cici asked me if I would mind if she moved my purse to the chair instead of the table.  Evidently there is a custom/superstition that if you put a purse on the floor, you'll have bad luck with money.  Putting the purse on the chair allows for "money to jump into it."  I'm still waiting on my cash windfall, but it is the kitschy, charming tales like this that lend more hominess and charm to Duval's Restaurant.


On this particular day, I started my lunch with their soup of the day: a butternut squash soup.  It was a warm, comforting hug in a mug.  It was served lava hot with a crouton.  The temperature was the only thing that kept me from downing this delicious goodness like a shot.  Scrumptious deliciousness!


   


If this was an episode of Bravo TV's "Top Chef" and the challenge was to make a dish that had all the emotional and culinary feel of Thanksgiving, Duval's butternut squash soup would win hands down.  Emotionally, it was warm, homey and unpretentious.  Taste-wise, it was perfect.  Just the right seasonings and mouthfeel.  I know I overuse this word on my blog, but it was just yummy.  If you need a hug from the inside, try this delicious soup.  It really needs to be a standard on Duval's menu.  It is that hearty and delicious.


One of my major issues with going to Duval's is that I have a difficult time ordering new things, because I am the #1 fan of their shrimp and crab cake, their flash-fried calamari and their Napa salad.  The salad is a marvel - garlic, pesto, crunchy Napa cabbage.  It is tart and tangy and plays well with the moist, hearty shrimp and crab cake.  (Try their Po' Boys too-- they are incredible!) 


I know I wrote about the shrimp and crab cake and the calamari in my previous blog post on Duval's Restaurant, so in this post I want to show you step by step with photos- Mr. Bad Kisser's method for eating the shrimp and crab cake.  I actually think Mr. Bad Kisser was taught this method of eating the combination by Owner CiCi.  So I am giving misplaced credit here, but I just love saying "Instructions by Mr. Bad Kisser."


Here we go ... 


Step One: Learn how to kiss properly.  (OK OK, you can skip this step if you must - but your significant other may disagree!)


Step Two:  Order the shrimp and crab cake, the calamari and a small Napa salad.  It will arrive with three dipping sauces and some toast point/croutons.






Step Three: Take a toast point/crouton and spread a generous layer of remoulade sauce on it.  (Side note: one of my favorite cafes in New Orleans?  Remoulade!) 



In case you're not sure which of the three dipping sauces is the remoulade sauce, it's the orangish colored one, seen here below.






This is what I call a "generous layer" of remoulade sauce on my crouton.






Step Four:  Take a spoon full of Napa cabbage salad and place it on top of your remoulade sauce covered crouton.




Step Five:  Place a large forkful of shrimp and crab cake on top of the Napa salad. 




Step Six:  Take a bite and enjoy!


Step Seven:  If you plan on kissing afterward, get a breath mint because the Napa salad is chock full of garlic goodness!


While I absolutely loved the butternut squash soup, it was incredibly hearty and I had no room for my traditional dessert at Duval's - their bread pudding made out of danishes.  Which is a tragedy!  But Duval's, being ever so wonderful, served me a Key Lime pie square with my check.  Just the right size of sweet to end my hearty meal.




   
I was so full from the butternut squash soup that my tattooed server dished the rest of my Napa salad and calamari into two separate to-go containers.  (Don't want soggy calamari!)  I was so intoxicated with the wonderful New Orleans-style cuisine that I walked out of the restaurant, leaving the to-go containers at the table.  I walked around to the side lot, got into my car and was looking for my sunglasses when I heard a tap on the window.  My server had spotted the to-go containers and had found me in the side parking lot to give me my leftovers.  Total A+ for customer service!  I was glad I left her a good tip before I left the restaurant!

I am eager to try Duval's New World Cafe when it opens, but until then - get yourself to Duval's Restaurant in Sarasota, Florida.  More information can be found in my previous blog post on Duval's Restaurant.  Check it out.  You will not be disappointed!


Update Nov 2011:  Duval's New World Cafe in downtown Sarasota is now open and the Duval's Restaurant on Tamiami is now closed.  Check their website at this link.  Also check out my November 2011 review of Duval's New World Cafe, by clicking here

2 comments:

  1. at opening they had a wonderful shrimp po'boy with a light crispy true french bread. lately it tastes like typical sponge bread from public. too bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww that's sad to hear - I'll be heading to Duval's next week, I hope the bread is better!

      Delete

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...