Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Smoky Deliciousness: Cantina Laredo (Wiregrass Mall, Wesley Chapel, FL)

Happy Tuesday, LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

This is my 24th consecutive daily blog post and 345th blog post on LilyOnTheLam.  Posting twenty-four days in a row has to be a personal best, because I am not the most punctual blogger.  

For whatever reason I have been on a writing frenzy.  So far my episode recaps that I have been writing for AllAboutTheTea.Com have not had a negative impact on my own personal blog writing time.  

I do anticipate that some changes at work in the next few weeks will dramatically increase my business hours and hence have a dramatic decrease on my free time going forward for many months to come, so I guess I am trying to write while I can!  Only time will tell.

Two weekends ago, I assisted at the Wiregrass Mall Fresh Market's Kids Market.  What a bleary-eyed, cussing like a sailor fool like me was doing selling products at a kids market is beyond me.  However I managed to "pull it together" to be respectable.  

After a day of trying to make sure I never left the shade of the vendor tent in the 84 degree weather, my friend (and CEO/creator/inventor/developer of an organic personal care line) and I needed air conditioning, fluids and food!  

I am a fan of Primebar at Wiregrass, but I have been hearing consistently great things about Cantina Laredo Mexican Restaurant - so we decided we needed to go south of the border for lunch.

For me, dehydration and alcohol are not a good combination. I went with a virgin tamarind margarita.  According to Cephas Gilbert (a.k.a. The Guru of My Colon), tamarind is supposed to be good for detoxifying the liver.  So an alcohol-based tamarind margarita would do what?  Null itself out?  The virgin version was delicious.


Tamarind Margarita on the Rocks

My friend Ms. CEO ordered a passionfruit margarita.  We also ordered the mini ahi tacos to start since we were STARVING!  Talking to parents and patrons about organic personal care products in the hot sun takes the energy right out of me!  Sustenance, please!
  

The mini ahĂ­ tunas were fantastic and I could have eaten several platters of them.  The tuna was fresh and flavorful.  The tacos sat next to a healthy sized scoop of savory guacamole.  Each table is also given a small bowl of tortilla chips with two salsas.  The hotter of the two salsas had this incredible smoky deliciousness.  I could have drank it by the glass, it was so yummy.  I would come back to Cantina Laredo just for the tortilla chips and the smoky salsa!

My friend does not eat dairy, so she ordered the avocado enchiladas with no dairy products.  She had them also add chicken to the enchiladas for an additional $3.  They came with a jicama slaw.  My friend raved over the freshness, the savoriness and the over all great taste of her entree.



If you read my blog post "I Am Not An Urban Drug Lord" and its sequel "I Am Not An Urban Drug Lord, Part Two", you will know that the aforementioned Guru of My Colon recommends avoiding shrimp, pork, tuna, shellfish … and basically any other food I love.  While I stayed away from alcohol in this meal, I couldn't stay away from PORK.

I ordered the pork carnitas tacos and they were SO DELICIOUS.  Savory, spicy, kick of heat, tender … if you're going to break the Guru's rules, you better do it with something incredibly tasty.  These tacos fit the bill!



I really enjoyed the food at Cantina Laredo.  Our waiter was very cordial, very attentive and overall provided great service. I am pretty sure he refilled my water glass 8734 times.  Did I mention I was a little dehydrated from the sun?

I wish Wiregrass Mall was closer to me - but then again if it was, I'd probably be eating at Cantina Laredo every night and my waistline can't handle daily tortilla chips!

I will definitely be headed back to Cantina Laredo!


Cantina Laredo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...