Friday, April 19, 2013

An Evening With Jillian Michaels - A Review of Her Maximize Your Life Tour

Hello LilyOnTheLam.com Readers:

I have been an avid fan of NBC's "The Biggest Loser" for many years.  Or more specifically an avid fan of Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels.  (Read about my running into Bob Harper in NYC here.)  I have read one of Bob's books. two of Jillian's and I have been a listener of Jillian Michaels' podcast since its early days.  So when I heard that Jillian was doing a speaking tour called "Maximize your Life" and one of the tour stops would be Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, Florida; I knew I was in.  

And when I heard there were VIP seats close to the stage that also included a private smaller group Question and Answer session, I said "which kidney do I have to sell to get a VIP ticket?"  

Luckily the price of a VIP ticket was similar to an arena concert show ticket price.  My super human ticket ordering skills got me a ticket in the 2nd row.  Jillian Michaels is even shorter and skinnier than she appears on TV - the camera adding 10 pounds and all - so I wanted to be as close to the stage as possible.  The tour might be called Maximize Your Life, but I wanted to Maximize my Jillian Michaels exposure.



With intermission and the VIP Q&A, the show was approximately three hours long.  Talk about getting your money's worth!  Because I have read Jillian's books and listened to her podcasts, I was familiar with some of the material she was presenting.  But listening to a podcast you don't see her twinkling eyes smiling at you.  Seriously I don't know if Jillian Michaels has some crazy diamond contact lenses or what but her eyes were TWINKLING.  Like a cartoon Santa Claus - it was like "I have the wisdom and you can tell I have it because my eyes are TWINKLING!"  I was mesmerized, to put it mildly.

And of course Jillian was rocking her skinny jeans - those alone are inspiration to get in the gym!

Jillian spoke primarily on three topics - nutrition/diet, exercise and self-worth.  The audience was approximately 85% women with some very endearing, emotionally men too (and of course some husbands who were just along for the evening).  The audience members were all shapes, sizes and ages.  For some I could see the emotional pain on their faces.  Their burdens were much more than the excess weight they carried on their bodies.  Watching Jillian Michaels on television, it is easy to think that just being in her presence will transform your life.  But of course true and lasting transformation comes from within -- we can't ask the external to do what we can't do for ourselves internally.  Change starts from within.  But a good motivational kick in the ass can't hurt, right?




While the nutrition and exercise informational portions of the show were interesting and good for me to hear, it was the self-worth section that made the biggest impact.  I got an A in Psych 101 so I pretty much understand all there is to know about psychology and the inner workings of the human mind (ha ha), but hearing Jillian talk through finding the origin of pain/fear/insecurities and working against repetitive habits that make you your own continued abuser was like a gigantic caffeinated wake-up call.  

This line of thought is nothing new or revolutionary to me but something about both the compassion and urgency in Jillian's voice, facial expressions and gesticulations pried opened my stubborn mind and made me listen.  She emphasized the need to switch the mantra from "Why me?" to "WHY NOT ME?"  It was amazing to watch a packed auditorium hanging on her every word.

One phrase that particularly hit home with me was about dealing with criticism.  Jillian said that sometimes what knocks the ego is good for the soul and helps us build our character.  So while we may not want to hear criticism, we need to set aside our ego and take what we can from the lesson and build on it.  Easier said than done, but ever so necessary.

On a personal note, it was special to see a video of Jillian, her life partner and their two children.  After a three year arduous adoption process to finally adopt their daughter, it was heart-stirring to see the long struggle turn into wonderful reality.  I enjoyed hearing not only Jillian's stories of working with the NBC show "The Biggest Loser" contestants, but her own personal stories.  What I find inspiring about Jillian Michaels is that she is not perfect (although her body is amazing!) - she's had her own struggles, trials and tribulations.  I feel like her stories and messages speak from the heart versus a canned commercial speech.  

The after-show VIP Q&A was even more endearing for me.  Audience members had previously submitted questions and Jillian's Podcast Producer Janice Ungaro came out to co-host the Q&A.  When I was training for my first official half-marathon walk in Washington State, each day was a struggle.  I would prefer to sit on my couch and watch television than do a 13.1 mile walk.  But I forced myself to get out there and I would listen to Jillian and Janice playfully bicker on the podcast and I would just keep walking.  Even when my legs were aching and the Tampa summer rains would catch me five miles from home without an umbrella, I would listen to Jillian and Janice's snarky comments to each other and I would smile ... and just keep walking.  I wish I would have had the opportunity to thank Jillian and Janice for keeping me company each and every time I trained.  (P.S. I have two more half-marathons this year.  Time to start training again!)

Side Note:  Speaking of Producer Janice Ungaro, before tonight Janice was a voice on a podcast - I had no idea what she looked like in person.  For some reason I must have pictured the only radio show producer I know - Robin Quivers of "The Howard Stern Show."  So as I would listen to Janice on the podcast I would picture a sassy, smart, elegant African-American woman.  Well yes that is Robin Quivers ... but Janice is a thin, elegant white woman who makes faces and does wild dances on stage that had the audience rolling.  I have to adjust my mental picture of Janice now for future podcasts!  

I think Jillian Michaels' next tour should be Anthony Bourdain-Eric Ripert style where Jillian and Janice sit on couches with potted plants around them and spend two hours good-naturedly bickering.  I would pay to see that show!

Back to the evening with Jillian:  I mean no disrespect when I say that many of the audience members were clearly broken and searching for help.  I am not disparaging them because attending a motivational speech, like an evening with Jillian Michaels, shows a person's desire to seek help and move forward.  

For me personally, I have a very difficult time asking for help.  My father died when I was very young and my mother worked full-time and went to school at night.  I pretty much raised myself.  My mother tells a story of how when I was six years old I sent the babysitter home and took care of myself.  Um hello?  How f--ked up is THAT?  I learned from an early age that I should only rely on myself, that being dependent upon others would only lead to disappointment.  This is a mindset that I have been trying to correct in myself - because we all need others.  One person cannot do it alone, 100% of the time.  

When I arrived at the auditorium, I had my hands full with my purse, my cell phone, a VIP packet and my ticket.  I was supposed to put on an orange wristband that was in my VIP packet.  I was juggling all this stuff in my hands trying to find the wristband in the packet.  A young woman sitting next to me asked me if I would like her to put the wristband on me.  Normally I would have said "no" - um hello stranger, I don't need your help - I'm fine on my own.  I can do anything I set my mind out to do - I don't need you touching me.  Leave me alone!  But I did need help - my hands were full of stuff and I couldn't figure out where the adhesive strip was on the wristband and basically I was a mess.  I sighed and said "Yes please, I would absolutely appreciate the help."   You can't imagine how difficult it is for me to say that to a stranger or even a friend. 

The young woman quickly found the adhesive backing and wrapped the wristband around my wrist.  She patted it lightly saying "There, not too tight and not too loose."  I smiled.  I needed help.  I accepted help.  And it didn't kill me.  I felt like I had learned a lesson before Jillian even came out on the stage.  

During the Q&A, audience members bravely shared their "dark secrets" and insecurities.  One woman - a breast cancer survivor - talked about how after her mastectomy and hysterectomy she no longer felt like a woman.  Her voice cracked and became quieter and raspier the more she bared her soul.  I wanted to give her a hug.  There were several other breast cancer survivors in the small VIP audience and other women spoke out their support.  You don't need to wait for Jillian Michaels to come to your town to hear words of encouragement and support.  There are support groups all around for various conditions/situations - people who have been in the same boat and can help guide you on your journey.  You only need to ask for help.




Another woman stood up - she had lost 30 pounds but even more inspiring, her daughter - a member of the US military - had lost 126 pounds and had taken leave to fly from California to Clearwater, Florida to see Jillian Michaels.  The audience gave the young woman - in her military dress uniform - a standing ovation both for her weight loss accomplishment as well as her service to our country.  Jillian gave her a hug and whispered words of praise.




The evening with Jillian Michaels was like breathing straight from an oxygen tank.  I felt energized spiritually, emotionally and physically being in her presence and listening to her straight-forward talk.  In some ways it felt like standing at the edge of a high dive - are you ready to take the plunge?  Are you ready to stop living your life emotionally numb and live in the present?  Are you ready to live the best version of your life that you can?

There was a young girl - maybe 8 years old - in the row behind me.  Jillian tailored her language as to not offend, so we heard "S Word" and "F Word" instead of the actual "swear words" during the show.  As I was walking out of the auditorium, the young girl and her mother were walking ahead of me.  The mother was carrying the daughter and the young girl asked what adoption meant - in reference to Jillian Michaels' stories about her adopted three year old daughter.  The mother gave her daughter a squeeze and said "Adoption means you are extra special."  The young girl cocked her head to the side as if contemplating this statement deeply.  Then she nodded her head and smiled.

I feel like Jillian Michaels adopted the entire auditorium during her "Maximize Your Life" show.  We all felt extra special after spending an evening with her.  If you get an opportunity to see Jillian Michaels, I highly recommend it.  

Please leave a comment - I would love to hear from you!

P.S. And don't forget to read about my running into NBC Biggest Loser Trainer Bob Harper in New York City here.  Now I just need to meet Dolvett Quince and my "Biggest Loser" meetings will be complete!

P.P.S. Hey Jillian Michaels fans - please read my blog post about a strong survivor who needs your help - JoinQueena.com.


Google Affiliate Ads - and yes, I've read this book!

4 comments:

  1. Saw her in Jax, and loved her! Wonderful experience! Was in the Groupon nosebleed section, but felt like I was up front! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how such a short, tiny woman in skinny jeans can light up an auditorium with love, empathy, kindness, passion, compassion and ENERGY! Thanks for the comment and glad you had a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post! I live in Mississippi - nowhere close to a Maximize Your Life event (although I gave serious thought to driving to Atlanta for one). Your review here may be the closest I get to it - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Keetha! My friends here in Tampa who couldn't attend also thanked me for giving them a little piece of Jillian Michaels ;-) I'm glad I could share some pictures and some of the messages Jillian gave.

    ReplyDelete

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...