Wednesday, April 30, 2014

New Product Wednesdays: Is This Fish Delish? Trader Joe's Gluten Free Battered Halibut

Happy New Product Wednesday, LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

If you are a regular reader, you probably know that on Wednesdays I feature a review of a new product or a product that is new to me.

In honor of the South Tampa Trader Joe's which opened last month, I have been featuring reviews of some of their latest products.  For this New Product Wednesday, I am featuring an item from their freezer section:  Trader Joe's Gluten Free Battered Halibut.



I love, love, love fish and chips.  Deep fried fish and potatoes- what's not to love?  Throw some malt vinegar and fresh ground sea salt on there and I am in heaven!

I have been trying to eat light, but when I am craving something really naughty I like to bake a piece of battered or panko breaded fish to feel like I am having a "fast food" type experience without the fast food calorie count.  Listen, when you are dieting, you have to do whatever trick helps you!  

Two pieces of the Trader Joe's battered halibut are 170 calories.  The batter is light and crispy.  However I found the fish to be rather thin and therefore not a lot of flavor in comparison to the batter.  I would rate it as "Just OK."

In comparison, if you're looking for a good frozen fish, I prefer the Trident Seafoods Panko Breaded Tilapia in the freezer section at Costco.  One piece is 180 calories, but is is much thicker, savory and overall feels like you're eating something much more caloric.  Even though I can have two pieces of the Trader Joe's battered halibut for roughly the same calories as one piece of the Trident Seafoods breaded tilapia, my taste buds and stomach much prefer the tilapia.

So if you're looking for a good frozen fish to satisfy a fish and chips craving, I'd recommend you bypass Trader Joe's and if you are a Costco member, go their frozen food aisle instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...