Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Farewell HIMYM - How I Met Your Mother - Paley Fest 2014

Hello LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

SPOILER ALERT - Do not read this if you haven't watched the series finale of the TV show "How I Met Your Mother" and at some point in your life, you might do so.

I mean it!

OK … disclaimer done.

After nine seasons, the TV show "How I Met Your Mother" had its series finale Monday night.  Some people loved it, some people hated it.  I really enjoyed the show and stuck with it even when some of the episodes were less than "legen - wait for it - dary."  I loved the Neil Patrick Harris - Barney has a daughter - storyline in the series finale.  I may have gotten a little misty in the eyeball region … but would deny it in public.  However like many people it seems, I was not 100% happy with the series finale ending.

As I read all the commentary in the Twittersphere - and Michelle Stark's well-written critique in the Tampa Bay Times, I tried to ascertain why I personally did not like it.

The show is called "How I Met Your Mother" and no matter how old, bitter or cynical I get, there is some part of me that wants to believe in the fairy tale.  That there is one karmic true love and when you meet that person, everything falls in place and you live happily ever after.  I wasn't born yesterday, so I am not sure why some small part of me still believes in this … but it does.

Then in season nine, the TV show introduced actress Cristin Milioti.  I had never seen her work before and after years of fan speculation hoping "The Mother" in "How I Met Your Mother" would be a big name actress, I was disappointed.  But call it show biz charisma, Cristin Milioti gradually won me over throughout season nine.  

In March 2014, I attended the "How I Met Your Mother" panel at PaleyFest.  I was incredibly disappointed that neither Neil Patrick Harris nor Jason Segel was there.  But Wayne Brady was the moderator - which made me very happy.  And Neil Patrick Harris joined by Skype.

Cristin Milioti ("The Mother") and Josh Radnor (Ted) sat next to each other at the event - and I could see immediately why Cristin Milioti was cast.  She and Josh Radnor had such tangible chemistry - just laughing and enjoying the event.  

I realized that the reason I did not 100% enjoy the HIMYM series finale is because of this amazing chemistry between the actors Cristin Milioti and Josh Radnor.  I never felt that same chemistry between actors Cobie Smulders and Josh Radnor in their on-again/off-again scenes as boyfriend/girlfriend.  

Had I disliked Cristin Milioti more or if she and Josh Radnor didn't have such great on-screen chemistry, I probably would have loved the HIMYM season finale.  So basically thanks a lot Cristin Milioti and your lovable persona, you've ruined the end of a nine year show for me.  HA HA HA!

I don't think there's ever been a series finale that all people loved unconditionally, so I wasn't expecting that HIMYM would be any different.  But I do know I will miss the characters.  I rarely watch regular network TV shows anymore … basically HIMYM, Hannibal and Scandal, I think.  The list keeps getting shorter!

But in tribute to nine years of "How I Met Your Mother" here are some pictures from their session at PaleyFest for your viewing pleasure:

Wayne Brady

Alyson Hannigan

Getting Miked up - Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Josh Radnor

Creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas join the cast on stage with Director Nancy Travis 
Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Josh Radnor, Cristin Milioti

Neil Patrick Harris in NYC by Skype

Neil Patrick Harris took off his shirt on Skype - getting ready to do a Pop Up Hedwig & The Angry Inch concert

Best chemistry ever - Josh Radnor & Cristin Milioti


One more shot of the HIMYM cast
       
The HIMYM PaleyFest was wonderful.  The fans brought yellow umbrellas and T-shirts with various HIMYM themes.  Some members of the crew also attended the event.  Including this woman who worked in wardrobe and brought an iconic HIMYM item …

Ted's Red Cowboy Boots!


After the event, the HIMYM team stayed for autographs.  It was definitely a great TV fan event. 




Even though I wasn't 100% happy with the series finale, it was still overall a great show.  As Craig Thomas said - "we can't believe you stuck with us for nine years, waiting for the Mother!"  When the nine years was so funny, it was not a chore to go along for the ride!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...