Saturday, May 17, 2014

What I Am Trying To Say … Writing, Music, Murder and Theater in Tampa Bay

Happy Saturday, LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers!

Some may say Twitter.com is a waste of time, but every now and again a quote will turn up in my Twitter Feed (@SouthTampaLily) that just fits the moment.  It's like an electronic fortune cookie, Magic Eight Ball or freakishly accurate horoscope.  

So today the following quote from writer Rebecca Solnit popped up in my Twitter Feed.  (By the way, I was thinking of titling this post "Solnit is IT!")  

The quote was: 'Writing is saying to no one and to everyone the things it is not possible to say to someone.'  

That sentence, to me, is so spot on PERFECT.  Although I am not the meek silent type, so there's not much I have wanted to say to anyone that I have not said.  (It's pretty hard to shut me up!)  Although I do know some people in this world would like me to say more to them.  To those people I would say "be careful what you wish for" - bwahahhaha.

I spent a majority of my free time this week watching the Julie Schenecker murder trial.  Unlike the verdicts in the Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman Floridian trials, I agreed with this verdict.  My former New York-based "Psychology, Psychiatry and Criminal Law" seminar professor was quoted in the local Tampa paper talking about the difficulties in winning a case "not guilty by reason of insanity or mental defect."  I used to see him on talk shows a lot, it was a nice blast from the past to read his quote.  

Hearing the extremely sad details of a mother who shot and killed her sixteen year old daughter and thirteen year old son is not exactly the makings of a happy mood.  So I offset the sadness and horror by seeing three great shows in Tampa Bay.  A much more healthy thing to watch instead of criminal trials, or at least it is for me.     

I started by seeing fabulous local artists Matthew McGee and Scott Daniel in their hysterical "The Scott & Patti Show" where they play a Mother and Son lounge act.  




This particular "Scott & Patti" show was "Mother Lode" - a post-Mother's Day lounge set.  The show was held at freeFall Theatre in St. Petersburg, Florida.  (And no, that's not a typo - their name starts with a lower case f.)  

I had just seen Cabaret at Studio 54 in New York City 2 weeks ago.  Don't tell actress Michelle Williams but Scott Daniel's rendition of "Don't Tell Mama" beats hers any day of the week!  

Matthew McGee as "Mama Patti" sang what is my absolutely favorite song from Cabaret - "Maybe This Time."  This is one of my traditional standards that I sing alone in my car with an umbrella and several pairs of sunglasses as my audience.  The "crowd" just loves it!   



What Michelle Williams did not do in the revival of Cabaret is sing "Maybe This Time" as Liza Minelli, Carol Channing and Cher - as Matthew McGee/Patti did.  Another plus for the Tampa Bay theater scene!

Next on my Tampa Bay theater week was Aaron Sorkin's "A Few Good Men" at Stageworks Theatre in Tampa, Florida.  Now along with "The Shawshank Redemption," "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and "Pretty Woman," "A Few Good Men" is a movie I have seen over and over and over again - and NEVER do I tire of it.  If it's on cable in the middle of the afternoon, I will stop what I am doing and watch!  It's a mandatory event!  But because I love the movie so much and have never seen the play, I was wondering could the theatre hold up to the movie?



With a cast of eighteen actors, Stageworks' version of "A Few Good Men" delivered!  Dennis Duggan, who won Creative Loafing Tampa's Best Actor Award for his portrayal of Lenny in "Of Mice and Men" at Stageworks made a strong and effective Lt. Col. Nathan Jessep.  It is no wonder this show keeps selling out.  It was really terrific.

Plus points to me for not screaming out "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" the 942 times I wanted to during the show.

The show was directed by Stageworks Theatre's artistic director Karla Hartley, who also directed the fantastic "The Wiz" for American Stage Theatre in the park.  (Read my review of "The Wiz" here.)  Two cast members from The Wiz were in the front row at Stageworks.  

Scott Daniel - of the aforementioned "Scott and Patti Show" was also in "The Wiz" and was the Costume Designer for Stageworks' "A Few Good Men."  The Tampa Bay theatre people definitely get around!    

Next, it was back to freeFall Theatre for their all-male version of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado."  Any show with characters named Yum-Yum and Pish-Tush has my attention.      I love, love, love, LOVE shows at freeFall Theatre.  They are THE BEST.  I cannot wait for their production of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" in August 2014!




   
Matthew McGee is also in "The Mikado."  He is a great, versatile comedic Tampa Bay actor.  He starred as the outrageous Mother Superior in Stageworks Theatre's version of Charles Busch's "The Divine Sister" which I am ecstatic to report will be coming back to Stageworks in August 2014 with its original cast from when it first played there in February 2014.  I had told many friends they should see it and now they will have another chance.  (Must see, must see, must see show!)  

Frankly, I would go to see Matthew McGee read the phone book.  He is hysterical whether in drag or in a male role.  I have seen him in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and Fiddler on the Roof in addition to the shows I have already mentioned.  He will also be starring in "Mame" at freeFall Theatre in Summer 2015. 

(Side Note:  In terms of full disclosure … or partial disclosure … I am the "Twitter Girl" (a.k.a. Social Media Coordinator) for one of the theaters mentioned above.  But my comments about all the shows are 100% my true personal opinion!  They are amazing shows!) 

It has been a great week of theater for me.  I saw four Broadway shows in New York City recently, but I get just as much joy as seeing productions with our local talent.  (OK OK Alan Cumming in "Cabaret," Denzel Washington in "Raisin in the Sun," Neil Patrick Harris in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and the entire wonderful cast of Harvey Fierstein's "Casa Valentina" are nothing to sneeze at … those were all mind-blowingly fantastic shows!  But our local theater here is extremely good too-- and a lot cheaper, I must add!)  If you are in or near Tampa Bay, you have to check out some of our wonderful local theatre!  

Happy Saturday!    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...