Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New Product Wednesday: Trader Joe's Kettle Cooked Potato Chips with Sea Salt

Happy New Product Wednesday, LilyOnTheLam.com Readers!

In my ongoing homage to the new South Tampa Trader Joe's store, New Product Wednesdays features another Trader Joe's product that is new to me - individual size bags of Trader Joe's Kettle Cooked Potato Chips with Sea Salt.

If you're a regular LilyOnTheLam.com reader, you may recall that I have zero impulse control.  (Read all about it here on my post entitled "Quit Stalking Me On Social Media."  It could also be titled "One Woman's Struggle Against Wicked Cheez-Its.")

I was having some insane salt and carb cravings.  Here's a tip - if you're having naughty food cravings, maybe you shouldn't go to a grocery store on an empty stomach.  You think I would have learned this lesson, say a hundred years ago - but no!  I'm an idiot!  

I wandered the salty snack aisle like an addict going through detox who wakes up in a pharmacy.  (By the way - the movie "Drugstore Cowboy" is one of my favorites.  If you haven't seen it, please do so ASAP!)  I knew I couldn't bring a giant bag of chips home, because I would eat the entire bag.  No, mandatory portion control was needed here.  I picked up a six pack of Trader Joe's 150 calorie kettle chips with sea salt instead.



I don't allow myself potato chips very often.  It just feels like a gateway drug to one hundred pints of Ben and Jerry's.  But if I am going to "do" potato chips, I am going to "do" it right.  I like kettle chips because they have more of that "oomph" of deliciousness.  Now normally when I indulge, I do the Cape Cod brand 40% reduced fat kettle chips.  Because of this, I think I have altered my palate.  Like a habitual diet Coke drinker who then drinks a regular Coke, I think full fat kettle chips taste extra greasy to me because I am used to eating reduced fat ones.

The Trader Joe's Kettle Potato Chips were crazy crunchy and surprisingly hearty tasting for a light chip.  I found them to be on the oily side, but like I mentioned - this could be because I'm used to eating reduced fat kettle chips.  They were satisfying and there was a decent amount in the 150 calorie serving size bag.

I still prefer my Cape Cod Kettle Chips, but the Trader Joe's kettle chips were a close second in taste comparison!  Check them out for yourself!

What's your favorite Trader Joe's snack food?  Let me know in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...