Friday, May 2, 2014

Don't Get Inbetween A Girl And Her Burger

Hello LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

A year ago I read that In-N-Out Burger was going to be opening FIVE locations around Miami in 2014.  After that I heard not even a single peep more about this story.  Was it some elaborate hoax?  Would people really be that cruel to taunt me with the dream of In-N-Out Burger on the East Coast and a mere 4.5 hour drive away from me?  Oh cruel, cruel world.

When I recently went to Los Angeles in March 2014, I decided that I better get an In-N-Out burger while I could.  Who knows if/when there will ever be one in Florida?

I went to the In-N-Out Burger on Sunset Drive in Hollywood.  This was my "local" In-N-Out Burger from when I used to live in California.  I remember one time going to this particular In-N-Out Burger location after the Grammy Awards.  It was basically a who's who of the music industry scarfing down cheeseburgers in tuxedos and formal dresses.  For a young 20something like I was at the time, it was pretty darn awesome with a side of French fries.




The last time I had an In-N-Out burger was in early 2011.  I was working in Santa Clara, California for a week.  I was severely burned out at my then current job role and I was trying to motivate an employee who was slower than a turtle with four broken legs.  I was so filled with anger and frustration that I was afraid I might hurt someone.  Instead I bit my tongue and seethed with white hot fury.

After several days of this work situation, I had to release some steam.  I ended up at the In-N-Out Burger.  A cheeseburger, French fries and a diet Coke with no one around me annoying me.  It seriously felt like heaven.  I then went next door to the movie theater and saw "Country Strong."  Don't judge me!

Somehow the combination of red meat, fat, secret sauce and Gwyneth Paltrow as a country music singing self-destructive addict was what I needed to release all my stress.  I actually left the theater happy and hopeful.  Until the next day at work that is.

When I was in Los Angeles a month ago, I went back to my favorite In-N-Out Burger on Sunset.  It was late at night and fully packed with people.  I wanted a chocolate milkshake with my burger and fries, but Los Angeles chain restaurants post their calorie counts on their menus.  One quick calculation of how many calories a cheeseburger, fries AND a chocolate milkshake would be and it was "goodbye milkshake."




While I waited for my order, I stood over a girl who had found a small perch to eat chili cheese fries in the packed restaurant.  Good lord, how many calories were in that basket?



Maybe I need to stop thinking about calories while I am in a fast food restaurant!

My cheeseburger was everything delicious that I remembered.  I don't know what it is about an In-N-Out Burger, but it is so simple and so good.  (Side Note:  If you are watching calories, get your burger without the fatty, caloric sauce.  Or maybe get a salad somewhere else instead!)



While I love, love, love In-N-Out Burger cheeseburgers, I hate their French fries.  They taste like freezer-burned, water logged, old potatoes.  And here's the rub - I still order them … each and every time.  I will eat 3 or 4 fries, make a face and say "I hate these!"  But since I only go to In-N-Out Burger once every 3-6 years, I keep masochistically ordering them hoping they will change.  Am I the only one who does not like their French fries?  Pffft, I should have gotten a milkshake instead!

If In-N-Out Burger ever does come to Miami, I will be road tripping down there in a jiffy!  Until then, I found that beloved Wisconsin chain Culver's with their butter burgers and frozen custard has opened about 100 miles south of me.  I heard several will be opening in Orlando but I am desperately trying to forget I heard that because seriously I would drive an hour to Orlando for some cheese curds, root beer, artery-clogging butter burgers and turtle frozen custard sundaes.

(Side Note:  ACK!  Culver's is opening in Tampa Bay in June 2014!  Well there goes my diet!  Time to buy some stretchy pants!)

This latest time I went to In-N-Out Burger, there were no famous musicians eating cheeseburgers next to me.  There was no "red meat and country tragedy movie" stress relief washing over me.  There was just a girl (ok an elderly girl), her cheeseburger and some happiness.  And it was fantastic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...