Monday, March 31, 2014

You Must Be Bananas! New Product Review: Thomas' Banana Bread English Muffins

Happy Monday LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers!

I went to a Deepak Chopra lecture a couple weeks ago.  He said that studies show that many people in the U.S. die Monday morning at 9 a.m.  I have no idea if this is true, but since it's Monday I'd like to caution you all to be extra careful out there!  No one wants to die in a cubicle.

Day 2 of The World Record Breaking 200 Food Truck Rally yesterday had much better weather than Day 1!  We tried NINE more food trucks! (Um did I happen to mention the diet starts TODAY?)  I will be posting another blog post to accompany my Day 1 Blog Post soon.  However it was "The Walking Dead" season finale Sunday night.  I was too busy squirming, shrieking and being all around nervous and paranoid while watching the events of the season finale play out to be posting food pictures.  So stay tuned to LilyOnTheLam, I'll be posting "Day 2" soon! 

When I first started LilyOnTheLam.com, I had a weekly post called "New Product Wednesdays" where I reviewed products that were new or at least new to me.  However since I am a REBEL, yes you heard me, I am bucking convention!  I am doing a "New Product Wednesday" post on a Monday!  Because after all, if I die at 9 a.m. on a Monday I would hate to deprive you all of my "last product review."  

You're welcome!

I love bread products.  I love them so much that I should have a tattoo of a loaf of bread.  I would love to go to Paris and just eat baguettes slathered with butter on the banks of the Seine for two weeks.  As long as it is quality bread, I obviously have never gotten tired of eating bread.  

With this bread-loving spirit, I did a dead stop in the grocery store the other day when I saw …



Thomas' Limited Edition Banana Bread English Muffins.

WHAAAAAT?  I love banana bread.  This pack of English Muffins literally jumped into my cart like I was Richard Gere in "An Officer and A Gentleman."

Now before I continue, I need to give a little backstory.  Miss B and I did a charity walk.  We thought it was a 5K but I think it ended up being a 3K … I thought I was going to get at least a little workout, but it turned out being the shortest charity walk I have ever participated in.  It basically felt like we crossed the street.  Wooh!  Feel the burn!

Even though we probably burned 3.4 calories total - between the two of us, Miss B and I decided we needed to do brunch.  I had wanted to try the brunch at Birch & Vine Restaurant at the Birchwood Hotel, so off we went!

Miss B - an eagle eyed menu scout - spotted the "Pretzel English Muffin" hybrid on the menu in less than a second.  It is truly important to have friends who have the same priorities as you.

I was very excited to try the "Pretzel English Muffin."  (Yes, if you dine with me, expect my fork to come sneaking over on to your plate.)  I warned - not asked - but warned Miss B that i would be grabbing a taste of the "Pretzel English Muffin" she ordered.  I love pretzel rolls.  They are the top of the bread product food chain, in my opinion!  

When it arrived … it looked promising. 


    
But looks can be deceiving … it was dry … there was some pretzel-y qualities - the salt crust, a somewhat malty taste … but frankly it didn't taste like a pretzel roll or an English muffin.  It tasted like some dry, flavorless bread you would get in the Middle Ages where the wheat was crushed into flour by a bitter person being crushed by the upper classes.  You could taste the bitterness!

Since this run-in with the "Pretzel English Muffin," I have been skeptical of delicious sounding English Muffin hybrids.  And yet here I was ready to believe that Banana Bread and English Muffins could join in a delicious union!

Would my optimism lead me to a new "limited edition" taste discovery or would I be disappointed again?

What do you think?

For starters, Thomas' Banana Bread English Muffins are 150 calories each.  This is 30 calories more than the Thomas' 100% whole wheat English Muffins I usually use for the occasional breakfast sandwich.  This alone makes me more critical - is the taste alone worth 30 more calories?

I toasted one up … and … 

Disappointment.

It tasted like an English Muffin with a slight after taste of an artificial banana flavor.  Definitely did not taste like banana bread … or even a decent English Muffin.  Sigh.  Fooled again.

I have five banana bread flavored English Muffins in my freezer if any one wants them.  I'll be sticking with my whole wheat ones!

I love a good hybrid … tangelos, broccoflower, broccolini, seedless watermelon, a Toyota Prius … But when it comes to English Muffin hybrids, I have yet to experience evidence that these are good things.  Have you had any English Muffin hybrids that you enjoyed?  If so, please leave me a comment below and tell me all about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...