Monday, June 2, 2014

Caffeine and Stunted Career Goals - A Lovingston, Virginia Adventure

Happy Monday, LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

I recently was visiting a friend in Virginia.  Now my neighbor spends a great deal of time in Washington DC for business, so he believes that only Northern Virginia is the true Virginia.  Probably in the same vein that I think my home state of Minnesota is really only 4 cities - Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, Rochester, Winona and Duluth (OK OK maybe Bemidji too).  But like Minnesota, there's a lot more to Virginia than the cities directly surrounding Washington DC.  (Please don't send me hate mail!)

I have worked in two cities in Virginia, but I was excited to see the places my friend would show me of her new adopted state.  We were going to spend the day in Charlottesville, but my friend ("FLL" - who I have appointed "First Lady of Lynchburg") wanted to show me Trager Brothers Coffee in Lovingston, Virginia first.  Trager Brothers is a 100% organic, family owned and operated micro-roastery.  



Now I was onboard to check them out because 1) I like coffee and 2) Trager Brothers Coffee reminds me of the character Tig Trager from the FX TV Show "Sons of Anarchy."  My friend, Ms. Toledo and I had met the actor Kim Coates who plays the rough and tumble biker on the show.  He called me "honey" and my friend "sweetie" or maybe it was the other way around.  I was a little too starstruck-smitten to speak.  I'm pretty sure my response was "Wahh blahs heh heh oof."


          
Anyway … enough about TV crushes … back to COFFEE!

We arrived at the cute open air roasting area/coffee counter.  There were two teenage girls working the front end of the store.  They were very funny and nice.  They definitely added to the friendly, down-home feel of the organic micro-roastery.  The teens professed their love of actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I said I knew a woman who knows the writer of "(500) Days of Summer," so basically that makes me BFFs with JGL.  The teenage girls were suitably impressed with this random factoid.


  
The coffee was absolutely delicious.  Rich, bold, robust, clean-tasting … the perfect pick me up!  My friend, however, had to order the "Nuthugger" - latte with chocolate and hazelnut.  Because I have the maturity of an 11 year old boy, I kept saying "Nuthugger" and then laughing to myself snidely.  It is a wonder I have any friends at all.




I was enjoying the strong, delicious coffee and still giggling about "Nuthugger" long after it was no longer funny, when a young lady walked in.  Evidently Trager Brothers Coffee attracts all ages.  This lovely young lady was sporting a very Southern hat.  I told her I loved her hat and she turned and said "Thank you, I made it myself."

Whaaaaaaaat?  I was standing in the middle of a 100% organic coffee micro-roastery feeling sudden stunted career goal angst.  I went to school for 19 years (21, if you count pre-school) and I couldn't make a hat to save my life!  I was having a latte with a side of midlife crisis!  This young girl may possibly be the next big hat designer!  Maybe I need to go back to school?  Oh the talent of youth!

I told her that I absolutely needed to take a picture of this hat.  She said "Wait" and angled the hat just right to show it off … evidently she is also a great photo stylist and model.  This kid is a triple threat and she likes organic coffee houses!  I'm feeling more shlubby by the minute!  I need more coffee to deal with this ...





Overall, I very much enjoyed my morning coffee at Trager Brothers Coffee.  The location is gorgeous.  The coffee is rich, robust and just darn yummy.  The staff is incredibly friendly.  And the patrons are evidently young and talented!  If you're not in Virginia, you can buy their coffee online here.  My friend stocked up on several bags!



Maybe FLL will try to make her own "Nuthuggers" at home.  Bwahhahahahah! 

If you like coffee, check out Trager Brothers Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...