Thursday, October 18, 2012

Supporting Righteous Babes Everywhere No Matter Where They Are ...

Hello LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

This past Tuesday, I attended the Ani DiFranco concert at The Ritz in Ybor City, Tampa, Florida.  Now if you're a regular reader of my blog, you will know that I have an admiration for Ani DiFranco and her music.  OK perhaps stalkeresque obsession?  (Check out my previous blog post here about my love for Ani DiFranco and another drop in the bucket of my dating angst.)  

I went to grad school in the same city (Buffalo, New York) as Ani DiFranco's self-created music label, Righteous Babe Records.  At the Ritz, there was a small group from Buffalo in front of the stage.  They yelled "Buffalo" several times in solidarity of Ani growing up in Buffalo.  However Ani lives in New Orleans, Louisiana now and I think that city blends more with her aura and spirituality.  

Ani's opening act was Ruthie Foster.  I had never heard of her, but I know that Ani DiFranco has excellent tastes in selecting her opening acts.  Several years ago, I went to see Ani DiFranco in Philadelphia.  Her opening act was the brilliant Regina Spektor.  I knew a couple Regina Spektor songs, but hearing her live cemented my fandom.  I also have spread the fandom - my parents are attending Regina Spektor's concert in Minneapolis tonight and I will be seeing her when she performs in Clearwater, Florida at Ruth Eckerd Hall next month.

Ani's magical touch did not fail.  Ruthie Foster was incredible live.  How would I describe Ruthie Foster's music?  Strong, powerful but also delicate ... it's like she opened her soul and this music just floated out.  Do you know the term "speaking one's truth"?  Ruthie Foster's singing is her truth brought to light and set on fire.  It's not a phoenix rising from the ashes, it is poetry soaring high above on the wings of a strong woman to inspire and captivate.

I find it ironic that while many in America were watching the Presidential debate and hearing a comment about "binders of women" that I was standing in front of a stage hearing the power and the beauty of two strong, independent women following their dreams and inspiring countless women and men.  Creativity, beauty, freedom, truth, independence and spirit.  An amazing night at the Ritz Ybor, let me tell you.

My hats off to either the ladies' sound technician or the Ritz's sound technician, because the sound for this show was the best I have ever heard at the Ritz.  Did they get new speakers or something?  Pure, crisp sound quality.  

The only negative was that 1/3 of the crowd talked non-stop through both Ruthie and Ani's shows.  The Ritz in Ybor has a huge smoking lounge and multiple bars-- there are plenty of places you can go to talk and watch the show on video monitors without disrupting the fans who actually want to hear the music.  

So my apologies to both Ms. DiFranco and Ms. Foster for the rudeness of some of my fellow chatty Tampans (or as I prefer to call them Tampanians -- Tampans sounds too much like tampons.  And I've never been super-absorbent.)

Check out Ms. Foster's version of Ring of Fire - if you're not moved by her rendition, you just may be dead on the inside.  



Ani DiFranco's performance was incredible as always.  She is pregnant with her second child.  The show was general admission and my crafty crowd-maneuvering techniques got me about 6 people back from the side of the stage.  I just kept staring at Ani DiFranco wondering how loud it might be for the fetus!  But I also thought how wonderful it must be to spend nine months gestating on pure, harmonious, truth-telling music.

Ani ended her show with some of my favorite songs-- "Gravel" and "32 Flavors."  "Gravel" is the soundtrack for a terribly bad eight year relationship I had once upon a time.  Time heals all wounds (and wounds all heels), so I can listen to the song with a wispy smile and lessons learned but no pain.  It's a good place to be.

There are so many fabulous Ani songs to choose from ... so I end this blog post with two Ani songs - the very popular "Both Hands" and a song ("Splinter") from her last album "Which Side Are You On?"  Hope you enjoy them!





Google Affiliate Ads:

I love Ani DiFranco's poetry - "Grand Canyon" is one of my favorites.  You should check this book out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...