Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Are The Croatians Known For Their Candy? Sikorski Deli and Fish Market Largo Florida

Hello LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers!

I have lived in Florida for ten years.  I think when you have lived in one place for a decent amount of time, you need to work a little harder to find new places.  It's really easy to fall into a rut and just go to the places you know you can depend on and enjoy, but where is the sense of adventure in that?  

One day I was driving to the beach, when I passed by a large sign for "Sikorski Deli and Fish Market."  Ethnically, I am half Polish - so a Polish deli along the road in Largo, Florida definitely caught my eye.  Plus my Mother always loved visiting fish markets, so the sign brought back some childhood nostalgia.  I decided to stop and check it out.

It is a decent size deli with an eating area/mini restaurant to the side.  There were large banners for pierogis decorating the eating area.  Up until now, I had only had pierogis in Tampa Bay at my beloved Pierogi Grill.  I was intrigued that I might have a new pierogi source.

I walked around the couple aisles of Polish and other Eastern European food products.  I was so excited to see the brands that I have rarely seen outside of Europe or New York City, right here in good old Tampa Bay.  The deli counter had a variety of meats and whole smoked fish.  I wish my Mother lived close by, I would have brought her one.  The lady loves smoked fish!

There were about six people in the deli when I was there - staff and customers.  They were all speaking Polish.  To myself I said wryly "Thanks a lot Grandma for never teaching me any Polish!"  But in my heart, I was really excited to have this very rich slice of Poland in my Floridian backyard.  On my bucket list is to travel to Poland, so I hope one day I can make it happen.  

I went to the deli counter and asked about ordering the pierogis that were advertised, but not to be found.  The woman behind the counter said you had to order them in advance.  I asked how much advance notice did I have to give.  She said "Ehh, maybe 15 minutes."  

I just blinked at her.  If it only takes 15 minutes, couldn't I just order some now?  I just looked at her confused and she didn't offer to help me with my pierogi needs.  So I just stood there, staring at her.  Evidently the deli counter lady was not too keen on helping a 1/2 Polish sister out with some pierogi, so eventually I broke down and just ordered some Black Forest Ham.  Which was terrific, by the way.  Smoky, salty, meaty deliciousness.  

After she handed me the small packed of sliced meat, I looked around me to see what else I might want to buy.  So many choices ... I was paralyzed.  Suddenly I saw this candy bar on a shelf.


  
A "Bananko" candy bar.  It appeared to be banana and chocolate flavored.  Two of my favorite tastes.  And it had a monkey on the wrapper ... and if you have read previous LilyOnTheLam.com posts, you'll know I will buy anything with a monkey on it.  Plus I haven't had Eastern European candy since I was traveling around Russia, so why not?

I paid for my weird shopping basket of ham and chocolate and then walked out to my car.  It was a very hot day and I figured that it was only fair to consume this candy bar before it melted.  I was putting the candy bar's structural integrity at the forefront.  ;-)  

I flipped over the packaging and discovered this was not a Polish candy bar.  WHAT?  OH NO!  WHAT IS IT?

This was a Croatian candy bar.  Are the Croatians known for their candy?  Only one way to find out ...  I opened the wrapper and took a bite.

A "Bananko" tastes like whipped artificial banana air covered in a weird chocolate-like substance.  Now being an American, I am used to our candy being so sweet and so rich that you instantly get diabetes - so I may not be the best judge of candy from other countries since my taste buds have been permanently mangled.  But that being said, I have to say that I am not a "Bananko" fan.  I took a couple bites and threw the rest away.  My apologies to Croatia.

I like candy, but this one is not going on my "must buy again" list.

However, I will definitely be back to Sikorski Deli - and I guess I'll call in advance to order some pierogis and see how they turn out!

I loved finding a new place in Tampa Bay that reminds me of New York City or Eastern Europe.  This was an unexpected road trip adventure that produced a Polish jewel.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...