Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My love for kitchen gadgets, uni-taskers and possibly Hong Kong Egg-shaped Waffles

Dear LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

When I was young, I would watch cooking shows as well as cartoons.  When my sister was little, she too inherited the cooking show watching gene.  I remember having conversations with her when she was maybe 10 or 12 years old about Alton Brown's "Good Eats" cooking show.  Which may strike some as odd, but for some reason it seems particularly homey to me.  

One of Alton Brown's many recommendations was to stay away from products that were uni-taskers - kitchen gadgets that could only be used for one thing.  As a person with a small kitchen and a love of gadgets, this recommendation really hit home for me - and I would find myself saying "No, you can't buy this, it's a UNI-TASKER!"

Of course many times I failed in following Alton Brown's sage advice.  This is why I own a Williams-Sonoma pineapple upside down "cakelet" pan and a set of Lodge guitar-shaped cast iron mini skillets - neither of which I have ever used, but I still love nonetheless. 

So when I saw that Williams-Sonoma was selling "egglette" pans - Hong Kong egg-shaped waffle pans, the uni-tasker shopaholic inside me demanded to be satiated!  I have been to Hong Kong, but I have never had the creamy, crunchy egg shaped waffles (a.k.a. eggettes or "Gai Daan Jai") that street vendors sell there.  But advertising works and even though I have never tried this product, I suddenly felt my life would be incomplete if I didn't have a Hong Kong egg-shaped waffle maker at my disposal.

What if some Hong Kong pop star showed up at my Florida home?  What would I serve him or her?  Velveeta and Ritz Crackers?  I think not!  You see, dear readers, it is very important that I have the ability to make Hong Kong egg-shaped waffles!

But somewhere deep inside me, the words of Alton Brown reminded me that I should not purchase uni-taskers.  I would then look at the picture of the Williams-Sonoma egg waffle pans and thought about how unwieldly they would be on my ceramic cooking surface.  I imagined myself forgetting to use an oven mitt with the stainless steel handles, dropping the hot pan and cracking my stovetop.  Any horror scene designed to keep me away  from purchasing the $49.95 waffle pans.

That approach to restraining myself kept the shopaholic demons at bay for maybe 2 years ...

And then I discovered this ...


The CucinaPro electric bubble waffle maker for $39.99 ("Bubble Waffler").  

And I caved.  Advertising won.  I had to have it.

I have a Hello Kitty waffle maker.  A waffle sticks style waffle maker.  A set of waffle making plates for my Cuisinart griddler.  And now I have a Hong Kong style egg waffle maker!  (Did I mention I also want one of those Belgian waffle makers that you can rotate?  Ohhh the waffle maker shopaholic is a cruel, cruel master!)

Oh and did I happen to mention I try not to make starchy carbs at home ... so all of these waffle makers sit patiently until the 1-2 times a year I host a brunch at my home.  And yet I still disregarded Alton Brown's so true advice about avoiding multi-taskers.  (Although check out this link about other ways you can use your waffle maker besides for making waffles!) 

The CucinaPro Bubble Waffle Maker just arrived today!  I now have to run out and find some custard powder to try the recipe from food blogger in Dubai www.GingerandScotch.com.

Stay tuned to LilyOnTheLam.com to find out if this uni-tasker was worth the purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...