Thursday, August 1, 2013

Why Is Florida So Weird?

Hello LilyOnTheLam.Com Readers:

Whenever I hear some outrageous news story, I always brace myself to hear that it happened in Florida.  And it seems like 7 out of 10 times, it did happen in Florida and many times only a stone's throw from my home in Tampa Bay.  My friends from other parts of the US and beyond question me on why I live here.  Growing up in the Midwest with its hellacious winters and mosquito-laden balmy summers, I can only point to our glorious beaches and beautiful water as to why I live here.  Plus honestly, this crazy redneck city of Tampa Bay just feels like home to me.  I work a stone's throw from the water and watch sailboats and crew teams rowing while I am on conference calls.  

Despite the serial killers, sad courtroom verdicts, Silver Alerts (think Amber Alert about the elderly) and our propensity to run over any pedestrian that moves; I still choose to live in Sunny Florida's Gulf Coast with many other Midwestern transplants fleeing snow and cold temperatures.  

Craig Pittman, of the Tampa Bay Times, has been writing a series of articles for Slate.com.  His final article is entitled: "Why does Florida produce so much weird news?" and is an excellent recap of Florida and its insanity.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily On The Lam wants to hear from you ... Seriously, she does ...